Doing the landscaping is the first step to getting your new home looking great! The exterior of your home plays an important part in its curb appeal, so make sure to do the landscaping for a new home right.
The first step: planning!
You can’t just plant grass or trees randomly, and hope the garden, yard, or lawn looks good. You need to sit down–either alone or with a landscaper or architect–and plan the layout of the yard. What will go where, and how many elements will your landscape have? All of these questions must be answered in order to get the landscaping done right.
When planning your landscaping, ask these questions:
- How much do you want to do yourself? The more you want to do, the simpler the landscaping. After all, you probably don’t know how to make all the fancier additions to your lawn. If you’re not going to hire out, keep it simple.
- Will you be entertaining guests outside your house? If so, you need to ensure that your garden or yard is visually appealing as well as well laid-out.
- Does security matter? For those who want to install fences or walls around their property, the space constraints can affect your landscaping plans.
- Are you interested in privacy or do you need space for your kids to play? Your landscaping will be very different according to your needs.
- What style of landscape will match the style of the house? This may not sound important, but it really can be! You want to find a style of garden or lawn that complements the exterior décor and design of your home.
In Part 2, we’ll look at how to budget for your landscaping the right way…